Take a look back at the O.J. Simpson double murder trial from 1995.
The same week of the 25th anniversary of the Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman murders, O.J. Simpson decided to join social media.
The football Hall of Famer and former Heisman Trophy winner created a Twitter account on Friday under the username @TheRealOJ32, which already has 169,000 followers. His bio reads: “If you don’t see it here, I didn’t say it.”
In a video pinned to the top of his profile page, Simpson introduces his new account. “Hey, Twitter world, this is yours truly, and I’m coming soon to Twitter,” Simpson said. “You get to read all my thoughts and opinions on just about everything.
“This should be a lot of fun. I’ve got a little getting even to do. So God bless, take care.”
The video, his lone tweet, had already been viewed 3.4 million times Saturday afternoon.
Saturday night, he issued a second tweet that was once again a video.
“For years, people have been able to say whatever they want to say about me, with no accountability,” Simpson said in the second video. “But now I get to challenge a lot of that B.S. and set the record straight.”
He went on to reiterate that he’ll get to talk about whatever he wants, including fantasy football and “even politics,” before wishing people a Happy Father’s Day.
Simpson was charged with murdering his ex-wife and Goldman, and he was acquitted in 1995 after what become known as “The Trial of the Century.” He has maintained his innocence in the case.
In 2007, he was convicted on armed robbery and kidnapping charges and was released from prison on Oct. 1, 2017. He now lives in Las Vegas and recently said that “life is fine” and that neither he nor his children want to talk about the evening of June 12, 1994.
“We don’t need to go back and relive the worst day of our lives,” Simpson told the Associated Press. “The subject of the moment is the subject I will never revisit again. My family and I have moved on to what we call the ‘no negative zone.’ We focus on the positives.”